Welcome!

Astronomy and Space information


PH is for Balance and Harmony
PH is for Neutrality
PH is for the Human Race
PH is for Phuturespace

Own a Meade LXD series telescope? Read my book.. it is available to buy from Springer, Amazon and other online book stockists. See description page here
Check out my US amazon.com astore

Sunday 9 December 2012

RIP Patrick Moore!

A personal account of a great personal astronomer.

It is very sad news to hear the passing of Sir Patrick Moore, one of the most popular UK astronomers of the past sixty years.
He inspired a generation to pursue astronomy as a hooby. So many people I have spoken to over the years have said that they never would have taken up the hobby seriously or even professionally if it wasn't for Patrick, either through his popular TV prgogramme "The Sky at Night" or the myriad of book he has written.
If it wasn't for Springer's Practical Astronomy series endorsed by Patrick, I would have never have had my book published. In fact, I have been told that my book is in his library along with others that are part of the astronomy series. Truly inspiring!
Patrick with my book 25th September 2009. Herstmonceux.

So what is wrong with the picture above? Nothing, except it is the only book in my personal book collection that has not been 'signed' by Patrick. Every time I saw him (at least once a year at an astronomy convention), Patrick would sign or stamp his name in one of his books. It will be sad to not see him sign his latest book 'The Cosmic Tourist' along with co-author Chris Lintott and Brian May.

I even visited Patrick's house once back in 1985 when I was on vacation in Selsey. I was taken round his telescopes in his garden by a dear friend of his, Reg Spry. Patrick wasn't actually in at the time but he said that if I was ever down in Selsey to let him know, such was the approachable and friendly nature of the man.

It was a true honor to have known Patrick Moore. He will be greatly missed.
Martin

No comments: